- Parks & Recreation Programs
- Summer ROCKS
Summer ROCKS online registration opens March 1! Our popular all-day recreation program is held from June 13 to August 18 (7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.) at the Fridley Middle School.
Register for ROCKS
Kids who are currently in grades K-6 (for the 2022-23 school year) will have a variety of fun opportunities to participate in each week, including: classes, special events, field trips and outdoor adventures. See 2023 ROCKS Daily Schedule & Weekly Activity Schedule for details.
Save the date—spots fill up quickly!
Payment plans are available, as well as scholarships to Fridley residents who qualify.
- Download our 2023 Summer ROCKS brochure with class descriptions (PDF)
- Download our 2023 Summer ROCKS Parent Handbook (PDF)
- Download our 2023 Fridley Parks & Rec COVID-19 Waiver (PDF)
ROCKS Daily Schedule
7:30 - 8:20 a.m.: Arrival & Hang-out
- During this time participants can play games, read a book, watch a cartoon or work on an art project with the ROCKS staff.
8:30 a.m. – Noon: Morning Instructional ROCKS Classes
- Participants will participate in classes ranging from sports/games, arts & crafts, science/nature, and enrichment.
Noon - 1 p.m.: Lunch & Recess
1- 4:30 p.m.: Afternoon Programs
- Playground Program (Gr. K-3) at Commons Park
- We'll spend the afternoon outdoors enjoying theme-based activities including games, stories and crafts.
- Chill Zone (Gr. 4-6) at the Middle School & Commons Park:
- The afternoon will be filled with games, projects and adventure.
4:30 - 5 p.m. Pick-up
- Participants will return to the Fridley Middle School for pick-up.
Additional Program Information
Wednesday Field Trips & Special Events
- Throughout the summer, we'll have a variety of special events, visitors, entertainment and field trips on Wednesday afternoons.
Weekly Open Swim
- Once a week, we will attend open swim at the Fridley Middle School pool.
Free Breakfast and Lunch
- Fridley Public Schools Nutritional Services will provide free breakfast and lunch for all ROCKS participants! On field trip days, a bento-box style lunch will be provided.
2023 Weekly Activity Schedule
|Morning Classes||Class 1||Class 2||Class 3||Wednesday Event|
|Week 1: |
June 13 - 16
|Basketball||Design Your Adventure||Build It/Lego||No Special Event|
|Week 2: |
June 19 - 23
|Drawing & Paper Projects||Floor Hockey||Era of Dinosaurs||Adventure on the Mississippi|
|Week 3: |
June 26 - 30
|Pokemon Game Coding||Track & Field||Recycled Art||Stages Theater|
|July 3 - 7|
|Break week||No classes||Break week||No classes|
July 10 - 14
|Baseball/Kickball||Painting||Mobile Machines||Wet & Wild Water Party|
|Week 5: |
July 17 - 21
|Dive into the Ocean!||Soccer||Nature Inspired Art||MN Zoo|
|Week 6: |
July 24 - 28
|Stop Motion & Music Videos||Slimy, Gooey, Sticky!||Lacrosse||Jolly Pops Concert|
|Week 7: |
July 31 - Aug. 5
|Zumba||Glow Art||The Buzz on Bugs||Bunker Beach Water Park|
|Week 8: |
Aug. 7 - 11
|Magic Galore!||Tae Kwon Do||Clay Creations||Nickel Jamboree|
|Week 9: |
Aug. 14 - 18
|Photography & Scrapbooking||Engineering Theme Parks||Ready. Set. Dodgeball!!|
Anoka Aquatic Center
Playground Program K-3: It’s time to play! This is a recreational program designed to involve children in a variety of activities, which will promote the development of friendships, good sportsmanship, coordination, motivation and creativity! Each week a new theme will be presented with games, stories, crafts and imagination to provide a well-rounded experience for your child.
Chill Program 4-6: This is a great place to meet new friends and hang out! We’ll enjoy all that summer has to offer in this program that is full of fun and adventure. Activities will include sports, crafts, games, swimming, billiards, foosball, air hockey, video games and more! Participants will have the opportunity to share their interests with the group and help to plan the schedule of activities as well.
Open Swim K - 6: Once a week children will be able to participate in open swim at the Fridley Middle School pool. This time allows the opportunity for young swimmers to practice their skills, or just play and have fun.
How to Register
Registration will open March 1, 2023 at 8 a.m. The easiest & fastest way to register is online!
Registration can be completed online, over the phone or in-person. You will need to register each child for each week that they will be coming to ROCKS. For example, your child enrolls in weeks one, three and six of summer ROCKS. You will need to choose week one, three, and six of your child’s age (ex. week #1, grades 2-3) to complete registration. Each week will be a separate registration. If you have any problems, feel free to call us and we’re happy to help!
Payment plans are available. We require that only the first week of camp is paid in full, and all remaining weeks can be set up on our payment plan. Please choose "Rocks 2023 Payment Plan" when completing registration online. The payment plan will automatically deduct camp fees two weeks before that week of camp starts.
If you have any questions, please call us at 763-572-3570.
Frequently Asked Questions...
1. Do I have to register for the entire nine-week program?
No - You can register for as little as one week and as many as 10. We recommend registering for all 10 weeks, since it's going to be so much fun!
2. Can I pay for the program on a weekly basis?
Yes - We require that you pay for the first week in full, then any other weeks your child is enrolled in may be part of our payment plan, where that week’s registration fees are due two weeks before camp starts. The online system will automatically enroll and charge your card on the specified date when you choose the “Summer ROCKS 2023” payment plan during the online check out.
3. How do I register?
Registration can be completed online, over the phone or in-person. You will need to register each child for each week that they will be coming to ROCKS. For example, your child will be enrolled in weeks one, three and six of summer ROCKS. You will need to choose week one, three, and six of your child’s age (ex. week #1, grades 2-3) to complete registration. Each week will be a separate registration. If you have any problems, feel free to call us and we’re happy to help!
4. Are there scholarships available?
Fee assistance is available to Fridley residents for select activities (youth and adult trips are not included). Proof of Residency and Income Restrictions apply.
Please download the 2022/2023 Fee Assistance Form. Email the completed form, along with supporting documentation for Proof of Residency and Income based needs to Recreation@FridleyMN.gov.
Call the Recreation office at 763-572-3570 for more information.
5. What is the deadline to register for summer ROCKS?
Registration closes two weeks prior to the week your child will be attending.
6. What will happen to my registration if the program is full?
If the program is full you will be informed that your child has been added to a waiting list. Participants will be added to the program on a first come first serve basis if space becomes available. There is no charge for your child to be on waiting list--we encourage you to register on the wait list as it's common for spots to open up as people's plans can change!
7. If my plans change after I have registered, can I cancel and get a refund if I prepaid?
Yes, refunds will be issued up until two weeks prior to your scheduled week.
8. Can I drop off my child before 7:30 a.m. if I am comfortable leaving them alone?
No, it is the policy of the facility that all children on the property must be supervised by an adult.
9. Can I pick my child up earlier than 5 p.m.?
Yes, you may pick up your child anytime throughout the day. Please check the activity schedule so you know if they are at the Fridley Middle School or Commons Park. It is also required for you to sign your child out with Recreation staff.
10. What if I’m late to pick my child?
It is expected that all children are picked up by 5 p.m. A late fee of $5 per child in increments of five minutes past the assigned pick-up time will be charged.
11. What ages can participate in ROCKS?
ROCKS is for kids who are in grades K-6 for the 2022-23 school year. Unfortunately, kids who are five years old but are not in kindergarten are not eligible for the program.