Sign Permits

Sign Permits are required for all new, relocated, modified, or redesigned signs within the City of Fridley. Before a sign may be displayed, the sign erector has to submit an application for Contractor license to the City.

City License Application

There are two different types of signs that require a permit in Fridley - Permanent and Temporary.

Permanent Signs

A permanent sign is constructed of durable materials, including plastic or metal. Permanent signs are durable, easily maintained, and are intended to be used for an indefinite period of time. The application fee for a permanent sign is:

  • $100 for wall signs
  • $200 for free-standing signs
  • $50 to reface an existing sign

Download the permanent sign application.

Temporary Signs

A temporary sign is fabricated of paper, plywood, fabric, or other light, impermanent material intended to be displayed for a short period of time. Examples include: banners, porta-panel signs, and sandwich board signs. Temporary signs may be displayed for a period of 14 days after a permit has been issued. The application fees for a temporary sign is $100, with a $200 deposit.

Apply for a temporary sign permit.

Other Signs

Certain types of signs may be displayed without a permit:

  • Window signs
  • Address signs
  • Bench signs
  • Rummage/Garage Sale signs
  • Personal Expression signs
  • Informational/Directional signs
  • Noncommercial Flags
  • Government/Institutional signs
  • Any sign less than 3 square feet

Sign Code

See Chapter 214 of the City Code for the entire sign code.